14 June 2014

DO I USE THE ANCESTRY GENEALOGY DATBASES? YES BUT NOT TO THE EXCLUSION OF MANY OTHERS!

DO I USE THE ANCESTRY GENEALOGY DATBASES?

I was asked recently what I think of the ANCESTRY.COM databases.  Well, I can say that I use that database and have over many years, but I also use Fold3, and many other databases,  and resources that are local, city, state, county, and federal. I probably will never give up using "old fashioned" resources like talking to people at historical societies.  I like interaction with other people too much to be isolated and computer bound at home all the time.

At the LATTER DAY SAINTS FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS around the country, volunteers and missionaries are very busy moving information that is presently on other databases and microfilms into FREE USE GENEALOGY DATABASES at their FAMILYSEARCH site. It's their indexing project.

Someone at one of the FAMILY HISTORY CENTERS told me that originally all these databases companies, non-profit and otherwise, once agreed to share all information.  That is why you see information original to JEWISH GEN on ANCESTRY.  I use JewishGen once in a while but must say that their constant begging for donations, which seemingly has increased significantly in the last year, has really gotten on my nerves.  But why should they go begging when they have either turned over or sold all their information to Ancestry? 

This person at the LDS Family History Center told me that the sharing as promised may not be in all cases two sided anymore, since there is a fortune to be made selling subscriptions, etc.

I've used FAMILY HISTORY CENTER RESOURCES FOR YEARS!  I actually love spinning film and find it easier on the eyes and the hands than databases.  I also have greatly enjoyed talking to other genealogy enthusiasts and have experienced some synchronicity in doing so!

I've also found information that was not microfilmed or microfilmed only in part on some of the databases I use.  I know this because I have the photocopies OF THE BACKS OF INDEX CARDS that provided extra good information other than the fronts.  Then there is the long time problem of typists who have produced misspellings despite their best efforts.  As I understand it, at the FAMILY HISTORY CENTER when a volunteer comes across a questionable handwritten name, they will call in a couple other people to give an opinion, and they may also assign people who understand something about the language or names in that language to contribute.

I've had my fair share of encountering sloppy handwriting and misspellings in my years as a researcher, though I'm usually pretty good at making it out, better than most people I would say.  Still, this is a good reason to obtain a copy of the microfilm so that you can go back and check.

Since I'm not associated with the ANCESTRY.COM company, I can't do them an advert. 

HERE IS THE LINK TO FAMILYSEARCH.ORG