27 February 2014

THE TRANS-ATLANTIC SLAVE VOYAGES SITE REVISITED - SLAVE NARRATIVES

SLAVE VOYAGES ORG - Trans-Atlantic Voyages   link

I met someone recently who corrected me for calling someone "African American."  She said I should be using the term BLACK.  I suppose BLACK works if a person appears to be "Black" and you don't really know that their origins are from Africa.  I think the whole subject is controversial and confusing.  After all, some very Black looking people, with DNA analysis, prove to be mostly European and visa versa.

Anyway, I thought I'd revisit a link I've had posted a long time and explore further.  SEARCHING THE VOYAGES, you will find THE NAME OF A SHIP, the name of the captain, the places where they picked up slaves (and no, it wasn't all from AFRICA, and where the ship is LANDING which could be Bahia or Brazil.)

What you will not find is the names of the enslaved.

YOU CAN FIND THE NAMES OF THE ONCE ENSLAVED IN TWO DATABASES.

I've found the FREEDMAN BANK RECORDS and SLAVE NARRATIVES, two different database / sites, to be more informative about individuals.  I'm able to access both at my library without fees.